Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflection on the use of Second Life for special purpose

1 Second Life can improve analyzing, thinking abilities as well as independent study ability of students. SL uses an environment that imitates the real life to take the students to an ideal place of “thinking in English”. SL is an online RPG game, in this sense, it is role-centered. The language context and direct experience can relax the students and help them achieve a state of the best association, cogitation, and action. In addition, students are liable to have a desire to find out more and more about the cyber world, online communication, and different communities in the game even after class. Therefore, the significance of SL lies in the point that it enables students to become a person who have the independent study ability and can go on studying even after they have left the game.

2 SL Inspires an understanding of real life. SL is like a mirror which tells students something more than superficial. There are too many things we can experience in our life, but we don't sum them up in time. Then they disappear and leave us nothing. Through experiencing the game, student can understand exactly the essence of living and they may even grasp some rare emotions which may have an important influence on them (e.g. curiosity, anger, love and trust in the cyber environment).

6 comments:

  1. Ahoy Mr. Dictionary, maybe I should persevere with the computers. The drive me crazy at times, I still cannot figure out why I cannot read external hard disks on my notebook, but there you go. I wonder how much "face to face" chatting could be done with SL ? It might be worth a try one day when we have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dictionary, with a brain the size of a planet how about a bit more blogging from you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Otherwise I will call you by your nickname !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A deep understanding of SL, Dictionary.
    Yes I agree that SL provides us new insight into a virtual life while giving us much chance to get exposed to English. Your analysis touched a area further than language learning. I think students could improve their English through interpersonal communication on SL. What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Dictionary, it seems like you have a great reflection on the use of Second Life program. Your comments are very positive on pedagogical perspective. Indeed, as a teacher myself, I've still got headaches running around meeting strangers. I must be outdated and really need to gain some inspiration from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy your post. But still, I do not think Second Life is suitable for the studnets in Mainland China... And I'm wondering if we can access to the website of Second Life in Mainland... :(

    ReplyDelete